Remove Smoke Damage From Chicago Apartments What Deodorization Equipment is Necessary?
Smoke, even from neighboring units, can cause damage to your apartment. Let the professionals at SERVPRO handle your fire damage restoration.
Deodorization Equipment for Smoke-Damaged Chicago Apartments
We strive to provide the most efficient path to recovery of your Chicago apartment after a fire loss incident. Because many of these apartment units are limited in square footage, even smaller fires can have disastrous and catastrophic results for the property owner. Odors are among the toughest obstacles to overcome, as so many materials and areas can become affected by these conditions. Choosing the best approach for odor removal does not always mean selecting one of the many premier deodorizing machines that we have available to our SERVPRO professionals.
When beginning fire odor removal in Chicago apartments, our crew chief and production manager must assess the full scope of the damage and determine the best approach to limit the strength and severity of noxious scents. Many practices can help later official deodorization efforts to be more productive. Beginning with these preliminary tactics can maximize the use of our potent deodorizing agents and the equipment that disperses these products. Before we choose among the available odor removal equipment in the apartment, we can start by:
- Removing charred remnants and ash from floors and surfaces
- Using content management to remove ruined items from the apartment
- Cleaning exposed surfaces that are not too severely damaged to protect
Once these steps have taken place, the present odor is more manageable for the equipment our SERVPRO team uses. Because of the limited space in an apartment, our technicians can rely on fogging equipment that can move to the specific points that suffer from the most potent smoke odor concentrations. Thermal foggers can rapidly heat deodorizing agents to a vapor. This vapor can penetrate porous materials like drywall, carpeting, and particleboard cabinets to neutralize trapped smoke molecules.
As challenging as removing odors can be after a fire loss incident, our SERVPRO of Chicago Heights / Crete / Beecher team can help through nearly every phase of this process. We have qualified fire restoration specialists that can oversee the removal of lingering odors during restoration and make these losses “Like it never even happened.” Call us today at (708) 672-0077.
More about Chicago.
SERVPRO Can Help If Your Chicago Heights Home Experiences A Flood Damage Emergency!
Let the experts at SERVPRO of Chicago Heights / Crete / Beecher restore your home, its contents, and your peace of mind after flood damage.
A Professional Pack-Out Protects Your Possessions After Flood Damage In Chicago Heights
Flooding brings overwhelming devastation to your Chicago Heights home. Whether from internal plumbing or appliance failure or after an intense storm or overland spilling of waters from overburdened waterways, the damage can be extensive. The structural components of your home are at risk, as well as the furnishings, household goods, and personal possessions. Our full-service restoration company has skilled technicians and innovative equipment to respond to all flooding challenges.
Often it becomes evident that flood damage remediation inside your Chicago Heights house needs a pack-out of damaged contents to simplify water removal and structural drying. Moving furniture and other articles to our production facility also allow our specially-trained technicians to use a broad range of strategies to clean, dry, and restore the items.
SERVPRO uses our carefully designed Contents Claim Inventory Service (CCIS) to ensure an accurate inventory of the property packed-out. We maintain a room by room accounting of the items removed, using digital photos, lists, and barcoding. As we evaluate each article, we document its condition, prepare it for restoration or disposal, and report the outcome. This methodical system allows us to keep you and your insurance company apprised for claims purposes.
Unique techniques like freeze-drying and the use of thermal chambers dry out and restore records, pictures, electronics, and other personal possessions you probably feared were headed to the landfill. At SERVPRO we always stress restoration over replacement, understanding that the loss of a lifetime of memories is to be avoided if at all possible.
Special equipment like our Esporta Washing System transforms soiled and sodden articles from ruined to refreshed and restored to function. Treasured toys, clothing, and other soft items need not be abandoned as destroyed when SERVPRO’s IICRC trained technicians operate this innovative technology.
Once the SERVPRO team completes the flood damage remediation in your home, we are eager to return the items we restored. The CCIS protocols assist us in putting everything recovered back in place. Clean, dry, and odor-free, both your house and the collection of little things that make it a home are back to pre-flood condition.
Let the experts at SERVPRO of Chicago Heights / Crete / Beecher restore your home, its contents, and your peace of mind after flood damage. Day or night, year-round, call us at (708) 672-0077 to schedule an assessment.
Click here for more about Chicago Heights.
SERVPRO Is Actively Involved In Their Community They Serve!
Greg Stewart & Bill Wilczynski participated in the February Economic Alliance.
Involvement by SERVPRO at all levels in the community can not be understated. One of these levels is at the city and county economic level. Every town and city has a vested interest in trying to help their local business survive and thrive, providing much needed jobs to the members of their communities and also providing economic stimulus and tax revenue generation.
These needs get interrupted when disaster strikes a business and it is vital to get their operations back up and running, as quickly as possible, "Like it never even happened." This is where the relationships you form with SERVPRO prior to the disaster striking are so important. Does your business already have a SERVPRO Representative (SMR) assigned to you? If not, complete a internet search for your local SERVPRO franchise and ask for one to be assigned to you. This SMR will go through the process of educating your business about all that they can do in advance of the coming disaster, to help you prepare so that when it happens, it is not as costly to you in downtime and lost production.
There are many different ways to get involved with your community business members. Recently two of our SMR's (Greg Stewart & Bill Wilczynski) attended the Kankakee County Economic Alliance meeting that was hosted at Olivet Nazarene University. Local and County business members and community leaders participated, where current happenings and futures plans were discussed. Building relationships at this level is key for when large events happen at this level, those leaders run in small circles and great relationships are needed here, so those business leaders can get their business's back up and running and restore their communities to like it was before the disaster.... "Like it never even happened."
Did You Know How Important Renters Insurance Is?
If you are renting, it is so important to be covered with insurance!
We see disasters everyday... and one of the saddest things is when people don't have rental insurance and loose everything. If you have questions about rental insurance you should speak to an agent for more information.
- The landlord's insurance covers your possessions. Don't count on it. Most landlords' insurance covers only the building and damages due to negligence.
- Renters insurance is expensive. In this case, the numbers speak for themselves. The average renters policy costs just $12 a month for up to $30,000 in personal property coverage. That's solid coverage for less than the cost of a couple of cups of coffee a week.
- Still concerned about price? Your insurer will work with you to find the combination of coverage and costs that suits your needs. You might even qualify for a discount by taking some simple home safety precautions or purchasing another policy, such as auto insurance, with the same insurer.
- You don't need insurance if your stuff isn't expensive. Most renters' belongings cost more than they think.
- Think that number is too high? Take a moment to add up the approximate cost of your computer, television, stereo, furniture, jewelry, and clothing. If a fire gutted your apartment tomorrow, would you have the cash to replace it all?
- Renters insurance covers only your possessions. In fact, renters insurance covers much more than just your personal property: The average policy also includes up to $100,000 in liability coverage. That means in the event of a covered loss your insurer will help cover the costs if you're held responsible for injuring another person or damaging another person's property, including your landlord's.
- Renters insurance is hard to get. You can research providers, compare quotes, and even find an agent online.
Are You Prepared For Winter Storms? (Part 1 of 2)
Winter Storm Preparedness: Prevent Frozen Water Pipes
Winter storms are here and it won't be the last.
The National Severe Storms Laboratory categories a winter storm as having snow, sleet, or freezing rain. In Glenwood, we can see any of this type of precipitation throughout the winter months. When the temperature is below the freezing point and precipitation is in the forecast, that’s when our office knows what types of calls we’ll be getting: water damages.
How Water Pipes Freeze and Break
A water damage during a winter storm happens when your pipes freeze. When water freezes, it expands and creates pressure inside the pipe, which can cause it to break. The pipes that are most likely to freeze are those outside the home that are exposed. Other vulnerable pipes are those indoors that don’t have access to heat, like those under your kitchen cabinets or in the garage.
Indoor Frozen Pipe Prevention
- Before temperatures reach freezing, insulate exposed and vulnerable pipes. You can do this by installing pipe sleeves or even wrapping the pipes with newspaper.
- Close the garage door to prevent cold air from coming in.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinets to allow warm air to circulate around the pipes.
- Keep your home heated above 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
Are You Prepared For Winter Storms? (Part 2 of 2)
SERVPRO of Chicago Heights / Crete / Beecher
We can be reached 24/7/365 at (708) 672-0077
“Like it never even happened.”
What To Do Until Help Arrives
If your pipes still freeze and you have a water damage, give us a call immediately and follow the following steps:
- Don’t delay. Call us as soon as you notice your water damage. The longer water stands in a structure, the more damage it will cause. As soon as you call, we will schedule a crew of technicians to travel to your home and begin remediation.
- Cut off the water source, if possible.
- Get textiles off the floor. Many homeowners rush to put down towels to stop the water flow, and that’s okay. Towels can easily be cleaned at our textile cleaning facility if need be. What you want to look out for are small fragile textiles or objects on the floor that can be damaged by water.
- Begin documentation. Start with the point of origin and all affected areas. While our technicians will also take the document, it's important to start documenting as soon as possible to prove your loss to your insurance company.
Be Aware of the Weather
Keep your eye on the weather forecast. Not only will you be prepared to travel safely, it’ll also give you to valuable time to prepare your home and keep it, and everyone living inside it, safe.
Environmental Friendly Cleaning Products At Your Service Only With SERVPRO
SERVPRO'S ENVIRONMENTAL FRIENDLY PRODUCTS
SERVPRO wants you to know that we are doing our part to help our Planet. That is why we want you to know about our Green Cleaning Products.
SERVPRO® Industries, Inc. is a member of the EPA’s Design for Environment (EPA/DFE) initiative. As a member company, SERVPRO® can access the listing known formally as CleanGredients. The EPA/DFE has established a set of criteria for formulating environmentally friendly cleaning products. With the assistance of larger chemical companies the EPA/DFE has put together a listing of safe cleaning components that can be used in Green cleaning formulations. From the listing a formulation can be derived that incorporates “green” chemistry. The initiative is designed to allow chemical formulators a resource to formulate environmentally friendly cleaning products using environmentally friendly raw materials.
So next time you see our Green Vehicles, you'll know we are doing our part to sustain our Environment!
SERVPRO Tips - How to Handle Fire Damage in Crete
Fire damage in Crete can be a difficult situation to tackle.
How to Handle Crete Fire Damage
Fire damage in Crete can be a difficult situation to tackle. Fires can ravage not only you economically, but also destroy or severely damage, objects, and things of significant sentimental value. It can be tempting to attempt restoration and repair procedures yourself, in order to preserve what is left, but doing so can be a dangerous task. Fires can severely damage structures themselves, and fill the air with toxins ranging from smoke residue to burnt chemicals. Strict safety measures must be observed, and although they can be difficult to follow for the average person, SERVPRO is able to incorporate and work with these precautions.
Typically, trained and experienced eyes can also help to salvage more from a fire, even though you're most familiar with its contents and losses. SERVPRO has been handling fire damage in Crete for years and will be able to give more accurate advice about the cleanup process. Additionally, complex safety checks such as chemical and structural hazard checks are performed by SERVPRO, and we will be able to adapt to complex situations and problems as needed. Typically, a residential or commercial fire will involve multiple situations.
Fire damage restoration companies, like SERVPRO, are also able to work with homeowners' insurance providers and perform repairs in accordance with insurance contracts. When significant repairs are conducted by an untrained individual or group, regardless of whether or not they are the owners, many insurance policies are rendered null. So, hiring a fire damage restoration service may also be the best decision from a financial standpoint as well. However, any insurance provider should be contacted and informed before hiring any company for cleanup, as their policies and specifications will typically vary significantly depending on the company and plan.
If you've had significant fire damage recently to your home or business, do not hesitate to contact SERVPRO of Chicago Heights / Crete / Beecher at (708) 672-0077.
SERVPRO Takes Great Pride In Restoring Your Belongings
Our technicians are always happy to help!
SERVPRO of Chicago Heights/Crete/Beecher is a full service restoration company. We not only restore your home but also your belongings. After a fire, much of a home will be covered in soot and hold the smoke odor. Our fire restoration team has many different processes at their disposal to restore your belongings to pre loss condition.
Our technicians take their time to often hand clean items, removing soot and preparing the items for deodorization. On any given day, these technicians many clean hundreds for personal belongs and yet still they have a smile as they do it. Our crew knows that while to us we are restoring a pair of shoes, to a home owner we are often restoring their sense of normal and their lives.
A fire is devastating, being able to return clean clothing, family photos, beloved heirlooms can help heal a family and start the process of rebuilding lives.
SERVPRO of Chicago Heights/Crete/Beecher truly cares about our community and each client becomes part of our family, if you have suffered a fire loss please call us for help today at 708-672-0077.
Summer Fire Safety Tips Brought To You By SERVPRO
It’s very important to ensure that everyone stays safe by observing a few simple fire protection guidelines
Sure it can be a good time for all our fellow Beecher residents, but it’s also important to ensure that everyone stays safe by observing a few simple fire protection guidelines.
SERVPRO is glad to bring you tips from FEMA and the U.S. Fire Administration and the list of five summer fire safety tips:
- Keep a bucket of water handy. If an ember floats out of your fire pit, or a log falls down from your bonfire stack and sets nearby foliage, paper, or other flammable materials aflame, you don’t want to be scrambling for a way to put the fire out. Having a bucket of water nearby is a great first response tool to keep a fire under control.
- Supervise all fireworks (if fireworks are legal in your state, of course). Sparklers and pinwheels might seem “low risk,” but the reality is that there aren’t any fireworks out there that are safe enough for kids to use without adult supervision. It’s also important to ensure that no one tries to re-light fireworks that don’t work properly the first time. Dump these in a bucket of water and move on to the next package.
- Don’t let barbecue grease build up. Whether you’re using a charcoal or a gas grill, it’s important to keep it clean to prevent accidental grease fires caused by all of the gunk that can accumulate on a grill over time.
- Inspect the area around your BBQ and campfire. You don’t want to grill or light a campfire anywhere near other flammable materials. This includes deck railings, overhanging branches, dry grass or that pile of dry wood and recycling sitting in the back corner of your yard. If you’re camping, clear out the area immediately around your BBQ or campfire spot to be sure that there’s no scrub or brush nearby that could ignite if a spark lands on it.
- When you’re done with the fun, put out the flames. While it might seem romantic to fall asleep in front of a campfire, you really should dump water and/or sand on those embers before catching some shut-eye. The same goes for BBQs – close your propane valve and the unit’s lid, as well as any vents on a charcoal grill once you’re done. Unsupervised BBQs can easily tip over in the wind. A breeze can pick up and carry coals and embers from that campfire, dropping them where they can ignite dry grass, branches, trees or deck planks.