JOB OPENING - CONTROLLER
CONTROLLER Job Discription
*****Email resume to: BNichols@SERVPROKankakeeCounty.com
Position Summary / Purpose
Provide leadership and coordination of company financial planning, debt financing, and budget management functions. Ensure that company accounting procedures confirm to generally-accepted accounting principles.
Assist in managing the profitability and cash flow of the business that will assure the continued liquidity and growth of the company and the financial well-being of its stakeholders.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct and coordinate the company financial planning and budget management functions
- Manage the preparation of financial reports and forecasts
- Monitor and analyze monthly operating results against budget
- Oversee daily operations of the Finance department
- Design the organization structure for the Finance department, staff positions with qualified employees, and continually train and develop employees in order to effectively accomplish the department’s goals and objectives
- Ensure compliance with local, state/provincial, and federal reporting requirements
- Work with other department managers, executives, and owners to develop and execute the strategic plan
- Direct and coordinate debt financing and debt service payments with external agencies
- Direct financial planning, procurement, and investment of funds
- Recommend benchmarks for measuring the financial and operating performance of departments and divisions
- Direct financial audits and provide recommendations for process and procedure improvements
- Determination of depreciation rates to apply to company capital assets
- Establish and implement short and long-range departmental objectives, policies, and operating procedures
- Advise owners / management regarding property and liability insurance coverage needs
- Accurately prepare and file required tax forms
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in collecting overdue receivables
- Represent the company to external media, funding agencies, government agencies, and the general public
- Provide accounting policy orientation for new staff
Decision Rights and Authority
- Hiring, development, and termination decisions for finance department employees
- Creation of financial forecast and budget portion of strategic plan based on input from owners and department managers
- Determine when borrowing from existing line of credit is required
Working Relationships and Scope
- Regular communication with owner(s) and CEO regarding company performance and strategic issues
- Maintain communications and relationship with banking and lending organizations.
- Coordination with all department managers regarding budgets, operating performance, and strategic direction.
- Integrity–Ironclad. Does not cut corners. Puts the interests of the business above self. Earns trust of co-workers. Intellectually honest, doesn’t play games.
- Oral Communication–The individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Effective in one-on-one, small groups, and in public speaking contexts. Adaptable and able to think on his / her feet. Demonstrates a command of the language. Easily articulates ideas and standards.
- Written Communication–Writes clear, precise, well organized letters, proposals, and emails. Uses proper grammar and punctuation. Demonstrates appropriate vocabulary and correct word usage.
- Team Building–Achieves cohesion and effective team spirit with subordinates. Ability to motivate teams to produce quality output within tight timeframes and to simultaneously manage multiple projects. Sustains a climate characterized by open, honest relationships where differences are constructively addressed rather than ignored, suppressed, or denied. Treats subordinates fairly and shares credit.
- Sound Judgment and Decision Making–Demonstrates consistent logic, rationality, and objectivity in decision making. Driven by the financial well-being of the business and its stakeholders
- Planning and Organizing–Plans, organizes, schedules and budgets in an efficient, productive manner. Effectively contributes to the long-range planning activities. Focuses on key priorities. Pays attention to details. Manages personal time well.
- Money Management–Demonstrates sound fiscal habits. Employs a disciplined approach to spending. Tracks expenditures. Works from a budget.
- Excellence–Sets high, ‘stretch’, standards of performance for him / her self and their organization. Demonstrates low tolerance for mediocrity. Encourages individual initiative. Maintains a level of intensity sufficient to achieve long-range goals.
- Technology–the individual uses typical communication devices to effectively speed communication and appropriately utilizes company-approved estimating, customer contact management, and standard word processing and spreadsheet software tools to enhance efficiency and accuracy of work performed.
Qualifications-Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business or related field plus CPA certification. (MBA or Master’s degree in finance or accounting is preferred but not required). Minimum of seven (7) years of experience in senior-level accounting or finance positions with similar sized and larger organizations.
- Finance, Accounting, Budgeting, and Cost Control
Extensive knowledge of the principles and concepts and significant experience in these areas – including generally accepted accounting principles. Knowledge of federal and state/provincial financial regulations. Ability to analyze financial data, prepare financial reports, statements, and projections. Working knowledge of short and long-term budgeting and forecasting.
- Strategic Skills
Proven ability to identify clear opportunities and threats. Accurately assesses the company’s strengths and vulnerabilities. Comprehends the big picture.
- Mathematical Skills
Possesses strong mathematical skills. Able to quickly compute rate, ratio, and percentages and to interpret financial reports, analyze performance changes and trends. Recognizes inconsistencies across multiple reports and sets of data.
- Constructive Confrontation
Has the ability to solicit, process, and integrate inputs and ideas from subordinates, peers, and executives. Recognizes areas of conflict or disagreement and deals with them through open and honest dialogue. Effectively provides feedback. Willing to stand their ground based on sound principles and experience, in the face of opposition by owners and other executives.
Knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems. Effectively operates accounting software (e.g. QuickBooks, Peachtree) and understands how to make changes to ledgers, accounts, and reports to reflect the needs of the business.
- Computers and Electronic Technology
Demonstrates intermediate to advanced skill in the use of computers, the internet, PDAs, and other digital technology specific to the job as well as MS Word, Excel, and other industry-specific software.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is frequently to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and / or move up to 10 pounds.
- Controller’s work is typically carried out in an office environment. Occasionally traveling to and meeting with customers and clients at their facilities is required.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
***Email resume to: BNichols@SERVPROKankakeeCounty.com