Winter Storm Preparedness in Glenwood, IL
Winter Storm Preparedness: Prevent Frozen Water Pipes
Winter storms are here and it won't be the last.
The National Severe Storms Laboratory categories a winter storm as having snow, sleet, or freezing rain. In Glenwood, we can see any of this type of precipitation throughout the winter months. When the temperature is below the freezing point and precipitation is in the forecast, that’s when our office knows what types of calls we’ll be getting: water damages.
How Water Pipes Freeze and Break
A water damage during a winter storm happens when your pipes freeze. When water freezes, it expands and creates pressure inside the pipe, which can cause it to break. The pipes that are most likely to freeze are those outside the home that are exposed. Other vulnerable pipes are those indoors that don’t have access to heat, like those under your kitchen cabinets or in the garage.
Indoor Frozen Pipe Prevention
- Before temperatures reach freezing, insulate exposed and vulnerable pipes. You can do this by installing pipe sleeves or even wrapping the pipes with newspaper.
- Close the garage door to prevent cold air from coming in.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinets to allow warm air to circulate around the pipes.
- Keep your home heated above 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
What To Do Until Help Arrives
If your pipes still freeze and you have a water damage, give us a call immediately and follow the following steps:
- Don’t delay. Call us as soon as you notice your water damage. The longer water stands in a structure, the more damage it will cause. As soon as you call, we will schedule a crew of technicians to travel to your home and begin remediation.
- Cut off the water source, if possible.
- Get textiles off the floor. Many homeowners rush to put down towels to stop the water flow, and that’s okay. Towels can easily be cleaned at our textile cleaning facility if need be. What you want to look out for are small fragile textiles or objects on the floor that can be damaged by water.
- Begin documentation. Start with the point of origin and all affected areas. While our technicians will also take the document, it's important to start documenting as soon as possible to prove your loss to your insurance company.
Be Aware of the Weather
Keep your eye on the weather forecast. Not only will you be prepared to travel safely, it’ll also give you to valuable time to prepare your home and keep it, and everyone living inside it, safe.
SERVPRO of Chicago Heights / Crete / Beecher
We can be reached 24/7/365 at (708) 672-0077
“Like it never even happened”