Caring for Victims
Victim bags ready to help when disaster happens.
When your home is struck by fire or a major storm you may have only a few minutes to gather belongings and move to safety. For many of us, gathering a few clothes, and the family photo album take priority over a toothbrush or comb.
At SERVPRO of Chicago Heights/ Crete/ Beecher we care about the community, that is why many of our staff carry these emergency bags in our vehicles. Each bag contains a few of the essential personal care items that many people need after a fire or storm disaster. Our hope is that each bag can bring a bit of comfort to the community after a tragedy.
Having your own preparedness bag is very important especially if you live in an area where natural disaster such as tornado can strike. It is also important to remember, only gather personal effects when it is safe to do so: material belongs can be replaced, but a life can not be.
Putting the Knowledge About Fires in Your Hands
Knowing what causes fires can help you to prevent them!
Knowledge is power! The Threat of Winter Fires is Real and according to FEMA:
- 890 people die in winter home fires each year.
- $2 billion in property loss occurs each year from winter home fires.
- Winter home fires account for only 8 percent of the total number of fires in the U.S., but result in 30 percent of all fire deaths.
- Cooking is the leading cause of all winter home fires.
- A heat source too close to combustibles is the leading factor contributing to the start of a winter home fire (15 percent).
- 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. is the most common time for winter home fires.
- Unattended cooking is the leading factor in home cooking fires.
- Two-thirds of home cooking fires started when food or other cooking materials caught fire.
- Clothing was the item first ignited in less than one percent of these fires, but these incidents accounted for 18 percent of the cooking fire deaths.
- Ranges accounted for the largest share (62 percent) of home cooking fire incidents.
- More than half (55 percent) of reported non-fatal home cooking fire injuries occurred when the victims tried to fight the fire themselves.
- Frying poses the greatest risk of fire.
- Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires.
Renters Insurance in Park Forest
Do you know how important renters insurance is?
We see disasters everyday... and one of the saddest things is when people don't have rental insurance and loose everything. If you have questions about rental insurance you should speak to an agent for more information.
- The landlord's insurance covers your possessions. Don't count on it. Most landlords' insurance covers only the building and damages due to negligence.
- Renters insurance is expensive. In this case, the numbers speak for themselves. The average renters policy costs just $12 a month for up to $30,000 in personal property coverage. That's solid coverage for less than the cost of a couple of cups of coffee a week.
- Still concerned about price? Your insurer will work with you to find the combination of coverage and costs that suits your needs. You might even qualify for a discount by taking some simple home safety precautions or purchasing another policy, such as auto insurance, with the same insurer.
- You don't need insurance if your stuff isn't expensive. Most renters' belongings cost more than they think.
- Think that number is too high? Take a moment to add up the approximate cost of your computer, television, stereo, furniture, jewelry, and clothing. If a fire gutted your apartment tomorrow, would you have the cash to replace it all?
- Renters insurance covers only your possessions. In fact, renters insurance covers much more than just your personal property: The average policy also includes up to $100,000 in liability coverage. That means in the event of a covered loss your insurer will help cover the costs if you're held responsible for injuring another person or damaging another person's property, including your landlord's.
- Renters insurance is hard to get. You can research providers, compare quotes, and even find an agent online
A community partnership
The 2018 Village of Crete Christmas Parade.
At SERVPRO of Chicago Heights-Crete-Beecher we strive to be as actively involved in our local communities as possible. We strongly believe that to be successful you need to do more than just offer a great service to your communities, you need to buy into what is happening and what is important locally.
Over the years we have worked very hard to not only help sponsor events and charity fundraisers but also actively participate in them. If we aren’t trying to help those around us succeed then our success will also be limited, in being a valued community business leader and participant.
The best way to lead is always by example.
Be Prepared for Winter Storms!
Winter Storm Preparedness: Prevent Frozen Water Pipes
Winter storms are here and it won't be the last.
The National Severe Storms Laboratory categories a winter storm as having snow, sleet, or freezing rain. In Glenwood, we can see any of this type of precipitation throughout the winter months. When the temperature is below the freezing point and precipitation is in the forecast, that’s when our office knows what types of calls we’ll be getting: water damages.
How Water Pipes Freeze and Break
A water damage during a winter storm happens when your pipes freeze. When water freezes, it expands and creates pressure inside the pipe, which can cause it to break. The pipes that are most likely to freeze are those outside the home that are exposed. Other vulnerable pipes are those indoors that don’t have access to heat, like those under your kitchen cabinets or in the garage.
Indoor Frozen Pipe Prevention
- Before temperatures reach freezing, insulate exposed and vulnerable pipes. You can do this by installing pipe sleeves or even wrapping the pipes with newspaper.
- Close the garage door to prevent cold air from coming in.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinets to allow warm air to circulate around the pipes.
- Keep your home heated above 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
What To Do Until Help Arrives
If your pipes still freeze and you have a water damage, give us a call immediately and follow the following steps:
- Don’t delay. Call us as soon as you notice your water damage. The longer water stands in a structure, the more damage it will cause. As soon as you call, we will schedule a crew of technicians to travel to your home and begin remediation.
- Cut off the water source, if possible.
- Get textiles off the floor. Many homeowners rush to put down towels to stop the water flow, and that’s okay. Towels can easily be cleaned at our textile cleaning facility if need be. What you want to look out for are small fragile textiles or objects on the floor that can be damaged by water.
- Begin documentation. Start with the point of origin and all affected areas. While our technicians will also take the document, it's important to start documenting as soon as possible to prove your loss to your insurance company.
Be Aware of the Weather
Keep your eye on the weather forecast. Not only will you be prepared to travel safely, it’ll also give you to valuable time to prepare your home and keep it, and everyone living inside it, safe.
SERVPRO of Chicago Heights / Crete / Beecher
We can be reached 24/7/365 at (708) 672-0077
“Like it never even happened.”
Holiday Fire Tips
Holiday Fire Tips
The holidays offer many opportunities for family and friends to gather, but they also come with an increased fire risk. With a little extra attention and care, you can help your family have a happy and safe holiday season.
The holidays don’t feel like the holidays without delicious food. While cooking always presents potential fire hazards, home cooking fires always spike up around the holiday season.
When you have lots of cooks in the kitchen, it’s easy for things to get messy and confusing. However, a cluttered, chaotic kitchen is a hazardous kitchen. Make sure to keep flammable objects, like towels, packaging, and potholders, away from the stove. Communicate with everyone in the kitchen so you don’t leave the stovetop or oven on when it’s not in use. Wipe up spills quickly, and don’t let grease pile up around a burner.
If a deep-fried turkey is on the menu, make sure you fry it on a flat surface outside at least 10 feet away from the house.
While holiday lights can add a fun ambience to your home, it’s important to decorate safely. When you first open a package of new lights or crack open a box of previously-loved strands, take time to inspect each strand. If you find frayed or cracked wires or any broken sockets, return them or throw them away.
Don’t put more strands of lights on your tree than the packaging recommends. Overloading trees (and outlets) are a common cause of holiday fires. Unplug your holiday lights (and tree, if applicable) before you go to bed or leave the house.
If you want to hang lights outside, don’t use nails or staples as they can damage the wiring. Invest in quality hooks or hangers. Once the holidays are over, take down all outside lights. Small animals, like squirrels, may start chewing on the wires if you leave them up all year.
If your family uses menorahs for Hanukkah, you could consider using an electric one to cut down on fire hazards. If you prefer traditional candles, just be careful.
Keep the menorah at least three feet away from flammable items, and make sure you place a non-flammable surface, like an aluminum foil-lined tray, underneath the menorah to catch the melting wax.
Setting up the Christmas tree can mark the beginning of the Christmas holiday for many families. Unfortunately, if they are not properly set up and taken care of, they pose a large fire risk.
Keep the Christmas tree at least three feet away from fireplaces or heating elements in your home.
If you prefer a live Christmas tree, make sure to care for it properly. A dry tree can start to engulf a room in flames within a minute of ignition. Help reduce fire risks with the following guidelines:
- Buy a fresh tree. When you first choose the tree, the pine needles should be green and not easily broken.
- Cut off the bottom. When you get the tree home, cut two inches of the bottom to create a raw cut so the tree can soak in water.
- Water the tree daily. Well-watered trees are less likely to catch fire.
- Throw it out promptly. No matter how much you water it, your tree will dry out over time. Once the pine needles start to fall off and the tree starts to dry, it’s time to throw it out.
If you choose an artificial tree, consider flame-resistant or flame-retardant options.
Taking steps to prevent holiday fires can help reduce the risk, but there’s always a possibility of a fire. If your home suffers fire damage, SERVPRO of Chicago Heights / Crete / Beecher can help.
We have the knowledge and experience to properly treat fire and smoke damage to make your home “Like it never even happened.” We offer 24/7 emergency service; call us anytime at (708) 672-0077.
Water Damage Issues in Peotone
Water Damage Issues in Peotone
Water damage in Lansing is a problem which most property owners dread. When it rains heavily, the risk for this kind of damage rises. Water can create thousands of dollars’ worth of damage that affect electronics, upholstery, wood furniture, plumbing equipment and household appliances. Water damage will also raise the risk of the growth of mold, which can be quite an expensive problem to treat. Hiring a company for water damage restoration, such as SERVPRO, can make the process of cleanup a lot easier to handle, since we employ experienced workers who know the right ways to repair and replace any items which have damaged and how to help you with water damage cleanup.
Reasons for Water Damage
There can be different causes for water damage in Peotone. Clogged toilets, broken hoses on your dishwasher, broken dishwashers, leaky roofs, overflowing washing machines, broken pipes and cracks in the foundation are just a few of the causes of water damage that are possible. Heavy rain and flooding in Peotone are other causes which are possible for this kind of damage, and can lead to having water in your basement as well. Too much water can cause minor problems in basement areas, or it can lead to the destruction of your home. After your home sustains water damage, it is imperative to begin water damage cleanup immediately. Beginning the cleanup of water damage as soon as you can increases how likely you can save water-soaked clothing, furniture, and other items.
Process of Restoration
The process of water restoration is an important one. Using the right materials and procedures could help you save your cherished belongings and may even prevent your home from being condemned. SERVPRO specializes in mitigating the effects of water on your home. However, the success of the restoration of water damage depends on how severe the damage is and how much water has caused the damage. We will assess your damages and figure out a water restoration and removal plan before beginning, going over everything with you first so that you understand what is going on and what is planned. When water is in your basement area, it could require just a short process of cleanup while water in other areas of your home could need much more extensive remediation.
Hazards to Your Health
It is important that you hire us at SERVPRO as soon as you can after the water damage happens. The growth of mold and other organisms can be promoted by moisture, which increases the risk for health problems that are serious. Cleaning up right away can help to mitigate water damage’s health effects on all who reside in your home.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
Some factors can cause water damage in Peotone, but no matter why your home has been hit by this type of damage, it needs to be addressed. Contact us at SERVPRO of Chicago Heights/Crete/Beecher by dialing (708) 672-0077 anytime. We will be there to help you get your home back to its preloss state as soon as possible.
SERVPRO can help with your mold in your school, church, or business
Any Type of Mold Should Be Quickly Remediated By Professionals
Mold whether slight or in mass colonies is a serious matter that can become worse. If mold is left untreated, it can become a serious problem. It causes health risks and can cause deteriorating significant structural damage to your home or office. If left unattended, mold can cause warped walls, warped floors, warped ceilings and weaken the foundation of any property. Sometimes you can't see mold because it hides behind walls, in attics, in basements, crawlspaces or underneath floors. Mold grows due to water, humidity or moisture, which must be located and removed. If you don't see mold, but you smell musty odors, call SERVPRO immediately for a quick inspection.
Any mold damage in Lynwood must be handled with care and with immediate restorative knowledge. We are highly trained in treating mold and how its spores grow. Our years of experience have let us know that every mold damage problem is different, and it requires a unique solution. We follow a general IICRC mold remediation process to help restore you back to a normal and healthy environment. We begin with a meticulous inspection and a mold damage assessment. Our mold containment process involves using advanced procedures to isolate the contaminated area. We further use negative air pressure to keep the spores from spreading. No fans or heating/cooling systems will be used because they will spread the mold.
Our specialized filtration equipment helps to capture microscopic mold spores. We then use powerful air scrubbers and HEPA vacuums. For cleaning surfaces, we are well equipped with antifungal and antimicrobial treatments to get rid of mold colonies. To clean your contents and belongings, we use a variety of cleaning techniques. We work with you and your insurance representatives on infested porous materials before we discard them. A full restoration system is the final step. It may involve minor repairs like replacing drywalls, painting and installing new carpeting. It may also require more significant repairs, such as the reconstruction of different areas or rooms within your home or business.
SERVPRO of Chicago Heights / Crete / Beecher treats all of our residential and commercial residents with the respect that you deserve. Mold can be an embarrassing event for a business or a homeowner. But we understand that mold issues can happen right before your eyes and without your knowledge. Our mold remediation professionals will help treat and remove mold so that it does not return. Call us today at (708) 672-0077 for an assessment visit. We look forward to your phone call!
SERVPRO cleans your damaged items
SERVPRO Advanced Cleaning Equipment Salvages Many Belongings
You might think that restoring your items or belongings after a major fire, flood or storm where the damage seems catastrophic is impossible. But our expertly trained staff at SERVPRO is here to ask that you not dispose of any items that you have damaged during an event until our professional technicians have had an opportunity to inspect them.
Our access to the Esporta Washing System in Lynwood after a storm gives us more opportunities to restore items before calling them a loss. The success that we've had in using this system has produced tremendous results that most customers can't believe, even when they see it themselves. Many soiled and contaminated soft items after a flooding can be salvaged.
This system is used by our expertly trained technicians at SERVPRO to provide you with a solution to restoring your soft goods to their pre-damage condition. We use it to clean, freshen and disinfect items such as clothing, stuffed animals, luggage, thick coats and even footwear. The system is useful for restoring several different types of objects that you may think lost forever.
SERVPRO technicians utilize Esporta's 4-Step process to renewal, a system that is used to repair your items to their pre-damage condition.
1.) Detergent - Adding an environmentally safe chemical that includes solvents to help remove oil-based soils, smoke, sewer and body odors. While also having enough punch to kill 99.9997% of all mold, bacteria, fungus and viruses and being specifically designed for preventing itself from damaging leathers, fabrics, and foam items. It also includes a brightening agent.
2.) Penetration - A water pressure system that cleans and penetrates your items while keeping things centered as a wheel moves through the water. Allowing the hydraulic pressure to force contaminants out of your belongings using the detergent.
3.) Forced Additive - Used to remove the penetrator detergent along with all mold spores, bacteria, and viruses on contact.
4.) Signature Fragrance - A combination of 140 different extracts that are used to introduce a fresh, long-lasting fragrance.
Let our professionals at SERVPRO of Chicago Heights / Crete / Beecher put this system to work for you, call us today. (708) 672-0077
Beecher fire damage
How to Handle Beecher Fire Damage
Fire damage in Beecher can be a difficult situation to tackle. Fires can ravage not only you economically, but also destroy or severely damage, objects, and things of significant sentimental value. It can be tempting to attempt restoration and repair procedures yourself, in order to preserve what is left, but doing so can be a dangerous task. Fires can severely damage structures themselves, and fill the air with toxins ranging from smoke residue to burnt chemicals. Strict safety measures must be observed, and although they can be difficult to follow for the average person, SERVPRO is able to incorporate and work with these precautions.
Typically, trained and experienced eyes can also help to salvage more from a fire, even though you're most familiar with its contents and losses. SERVPRO has been handling fire damage in Beecher for years and will be able to give more accurate advice about the cleanup process. Additionally, complex safety checks such as chemical and structural hazard checks are performed by SERVPRO, and we will be able to adapt to complex situations and problems as needed. Typically, a residential or commercial fire will involve multiple situations.
Fire damage restoration companies, like SERVPRO, are also able to work with homeowners' insurance providers and perform repairs in accordance with insurance contracts. When significant repairs are conducted by an untrained individual or group, regardless of whether or not they are the owners, many insurance policies are rendered null. So, hiring a fire damage restoration service may also be the best decision from a financial standpoint as well. However, any insurance provider should be contacted and informed before hiring any company for cleanup, as their policies and specifications will typically vary significantly depending on the company and plan.
If you've had significant fire damage recently to your home or business, do not hesitate to contact SERVPRO of Chicago Heights / Crete / Beecher at (708) 672-0077.