SERVPRO Is Actively Involved In Their Community They Serve!
Greg Stewart & Bill Wilczynski participated in the February Economic Alliance.
Involvement by SERVPRO at all levels in the community can not be understated. One of these levels is at the city and county economic level. Every town and city has a vested interest in trying to help their local business survive and thrive, providing much needed jobs to the members of their communities and also providing economic stimulus and tax revenue generation.
These needs get interrupted when disaster strikes a business and it is vital to get their operations back up and running, as quickly as possible, "Like it never even happened." This is where the relationships you form with SERVPRO prior to the disaster striking are so important. Does your business already have a SERVPRO Representative (SMR) assigned to you? If not, complete a internet search for your local SERVPRO franchise and ask for one to be assigned to you. This SMR will go through the process of educating your business about all that they can do in advance of the coming disaster, to help you prepare so that when it happens, it is not as costly to you in downtime and lost production.
There are many different ways to get involved with your community business members. Recently two of our SMR's (Greg Stewart & Bill Wilczynski) attended the Kankakee County Economic Alliance meeting that was hosted at Olivet Nazarene University. Local and County business members and community leaders participated, where current happenings and futures plans were discussed. Building relationships at this level is key for when large events happen at this level, those leaders run in small circles and great relationships are needed here, so those business leaders can get their business's back up and running and restore their communities to like it was before the disaster.... "Like it never even happened."
Did You Know How Important Renters Insurance Is?
If you are renting, it is so important to be covered with insurance!
We see disasters everyday... and one of the saddest things is when people don't have rental insurance and loose everything. If you have questions about rental insurance you should speak to an agent for more information.
- The landlord's insurance covers your possessions. Don't count on it. Most landlords' insurance covers only the building and damages due to negligence.
- Renters insurance is expensive. In this case, the numbers speak for themselves. The average renters policy costs just $12 a month for up to $30,000 in personal property coverage. That's solid coverage for less than the cost of a couple of cups of coffee a week.
- Still concerned about price? Your insurer will work with you to find the combination of coverage and costs that suits your needs. You might even qualify for a discount by taking some simple home safety precautions or purchasing another policy, such as auto insurance, with the same insurer.
- You don't need insurance if your stuff isn't expensive. Most renters' belongings cost more than they think.
- Think that number is too high? Take a moment to add up the approximate cost of your computer, television, stereo, furniture, jewelry, and clothing. If a fire gutted your apartment tomorrow, would you have the cash to replace it all?
- Renters insurance covers only your possessions. In fact, renters insurance covers much more than just your personal property: The average policy also includes up to $100,000 in liability coverage. That means in the event of a covered loss your insurer will help cover the costs if you're held responsible for injuring another person or damaging another person's property, including your landlord's.
- Renters insurance is hard to get. You can research providers, compare quotes, and even find an agent online.
Are You Prepared For Winter Storms? (Part 1 of 2)
Winter Storm Preparedness: Prevent Frozen Water Pipes
Winter storms are here and it won't be the last.
The National Severe Storms Laboratory categories a winter storm as having snow, sleet, or freezing rain. In Glenwood, we can see any of this type of precipitation throughout the winter months. When the temperature is below the freezing point and precipitation is in the forecast, that’s when our office knows what types of calls we’ll be getting: water damages.
How Water Pipes Freeze and Break
A water damage during a winter storm happens when your pipes freeze. When water freezes, it expands and creates pressure inside the pipe, which can cause it to break. The pipes that are most likely to freeze are those outside the home that are exposed. Other vulnerable pipes are those indoors that don’t have access to heat, like those under your kitchen cabinets or in the garage.
Indoor Frozen Pipe Prevention
- Before temperatures reach freezing, insulate exposed and vulnerable pipes. You can do this by installing pipe sleeves or even wrapping the pipes with newspaper.
- Close the garage door to prevent cold air from coming in.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinets to allow warm air to circulate around the pipes.
- Keep your home heated above 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
Are You Prepared For Winter Storms? (Part 2 of 2)
SERVPRO of Chicago Heights / Crete / Beecher
We can be reached 24/7/365 at (708) 672-0077
“Like it never even happened.”
What To Do Until Help Arrives
If your pipes still freeze and you have a water damage, give us a call immediately and follow the following steps:
- Don’t delay. Call us as soon as you notice your water damage. The longer water stands in a structure, the more damage it will cause. As soon as you call, we will schedule a crew of technicians to travel to your home and begin remediation.
- Cut off the water source, if possible.
- Get textiles off the floor. Many homeowners rush to put down towels to stop the water flow, and that’s okay. Towels can easily be cleaned at our textile cleaning facility if need be. What you want to look out for are small fragile textiles or objects on the floor that can be damaged by water.
- Begin documentation. Start with the point of origin and all affected areas. While our technicians will also take the document, it's important to start documenting as soon as possible to prove your loss to your insurance company.
Be Aware of the Weather
Keep your eye on the weather forecast. Not only will you be prepared to travel safely, it’ll also give you to valuable time to prepare your home and keep it, and everyone living inside it, safe.
Environmental Friendly Cleaning Products At Your Service Only With SERVPRO
SERVPRO'S ENVIRONMENTAL FRIENDLY PRODUCTS
SERVPRO wants you to know that we are doing our part to help our Planet. That is why we want you to know about our Green Cleaning Products.
SERVPRO® Industries, Inc. is a member of the EPA’s Design for Environment (EPA/DFE) initiative. As a member company, SERVPRO® can access the listing known formally as CleanGredients. The EPA/DFE has established a set of criteria for formulating environmentally friendly cleaning products. With the assistance of larger chemical companies the EPA/DFE has put together a listing of safe cleaning components that can be used in Green cleaning formulations. From the listing a formulation can be derived that incorporates “green” chemistry. The initiative is designed to allow chemical formulators a resource to formulate environmentally friendly cleaning products using environmentally friendly raw materials.
So next time you see our Green Vehicles, you'll know we are doing our part to sustain our Environment!
SERVPRO Tips - How to Handle Fire Damage in Crete
Fire damage in Crete can be a difficult situation to tackle.
How to Handle Crete Fire Damage
Fire damage in Crete can be a difficult situation to tackle. Fires can ravage not only you economically, but also destroy or severely damage, objects, and things of significant sentimental value. It can be tempting to attempt restoration and repair procedures yourself, in order to preserve what is left, but doing so can be a dangerous task. Fires can severely damage structures themselves, and fill the air with toxins ranging from smoke residue to burnt chemicals. Strict safety measures must be observed, and although they can be difficult to follow for the average person, SERVPRO is able to incorporate and work with these precautions.
Typically, trained and experienced eyes can also help to salvage more from a fire, even though you're most familiar with its contents and losses. SERVPRO has been handling fire damage in Crete for years and will be able to give more accurate advice about the cleanup process. Additionally, complex safety checks such as chemical and structural hazard checks are performed by SERVPRO, and we will be able to adapt to complex situations and problems as needed. Typically, a residential or commercial fire will involve multiple situations.
Fire damage restoration companies, like SERVPRO, are also able to work with homeowners' insurance providers and perform repairs in accordance with insurance contracts. When significant repairs are conducted by an untrained individual or group, regardless of whether or not they are the owners, many insurance policies are rendered null. So, hiring a fire damage restoration service may also be the best decision from a financial standpoint as well. However, any insurance provider should be contacted and informed before hiring any company for cleanup, as their policies and specifications will typically vary significantly depending on the company and plan.
If you've had significant fire damage recently to your home or business, do not hesitate to contact SERVPRO of Chicago Heights / Crete / Beecher at (708) 672-0077.
SERVPRO Takes Great Pride In Restoring Your Belongings
Our technicians are always happy to help!
SERVPRO of Chicago Heights/Crete/Beecher is a full service restoration company. We not only restore your home but also your belongings. After a fire, much of a home will be covered in soot and hold the smoke odor. Our fire restoration team has many different processes at their disposal to restore your belongings to pre loss condition.
Our technicians take their time to often hand clean items, removing soot and preparing the items for deodorization. On any given day, these technicians many clean hundreds for personal belongs and yet still they have a smile as they do it. Our crew knows that while to us we are restoring a pair of shoes, to a home owner we are often restoring their sense of normal and their lives.
A fire is devastating, being able to return clean clothing, family photos, beloved heirlooms can help heal a family and start the process of rebuilding lives.
SERVPRO of Chicago Heights/Crete/Beecher truly cares about our community and each client becomes part of our family, if you have suffered a fire loss please call us for help today at 708-672-0077.
Summer Fire Safety Tips Brought To You By SERVPRO
It’s very important to ensure that everyone stays safe by observing a few simple fire protection guidelines
Sure it can be a good time for all our fellow Beecher residents, but it’s also important to ensure that everyone stays safe by observing a few simple fire protection guidelines.
SERVPRO is glad to bring you tips from FEMA and the U.S. Fire Administration and the list of five summer fire safety tips:
- Keep a bucket of water handy. If an ember floats out of your fire pit, or a log falls down from your bonfire stack and sets nearby foliage, paper, or other flammable materials aflame, you don’t want to be scrambling for a way to put the fire out. Having a bucket of water nearby is a great first response tool to keep a fire under control.
- Supervise all fireworks (if fireworks are legal in your state, of course). Sparklers and pinwheels might seem “low risk,” but the reality is that there aren’t any fireworks out there that are safe enough for kids to use without adult supervision. It’s also important to ensure that no one tries to re-light fireworks that don’t work properly the first time. Dump these in a bucket of water and move on to the next package.
- Don’t let barbecue grease build up. Whether you’re using a charcoal or a gas grill, it’s important to keep it clean to prevent accidental grease fires caused by all of the gunk that can accumulate on a grill over time.
- Inspect the area around your BBQ and campfire. You don’t want to grill or light a campfire anywhere near other flammable materials. This includes deck railings, overhanging branches, dry grass or that pile of dry wood and recycling sitting in the back corner of your yard. If you’re camping, clear out the area immediately around your BBQ or campfire spot to be sure that there’s no scrub or brush nearby that could ignite if a spark lands on it.
- When you’re done with the fun, put out the flames. While it might seem romantic to fall asleep in front of a campfire, you really should dump water and/or sand on those embers before catching some shut-eye. The same goes for BBQs – close your propane valve and the unit’s lid, as well as any vents on a charcoal grill once you’re done. Unsupervised BBQs can easily tip over in the wind. A breeze can pick up and carry coals and embers from that campfire, dropping them where they can ignite dry grass, branches, trees or deck planks.
Facts About Mold You May Not Have Known About - SERVPRO Can Help!
Every mold damage scenario is different and requires a unique solution, but the general mold remediation process stays the same.
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
The Mold Remediation Process
Every mold damage scenario is different and requires a unique solution, but the general mold remediation process stays the same. Learn more about our mold remediation process.
- Emergency Contact - (708) 672-0077
- Inspection and Mold Damage Assessment
- Mold Containment
- Air Filtration
- Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials
- Cleaning Contents and Belongings
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of Chicago Heights / Crete / Beecher is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of over 1,700 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large scale disasters.
Trust SERVPRO Professionals To Clean Fire Damaged Homes in Park Forest
SERVPRO has the training and equipment to restore your fire damaged home.
How Professionals Clean Fire Damaged Homes in Park Forest
SERVPRO has the training and equipment to restore your fire damaged home.
Using Cleanup Services After Fire Damage in Your Park Forest Residence is Critical
Fires are devastating events for homeowners since they have to cope with the loss of invaluable possessions. The financial setback can take an emotional and psychological toll on anyone. After a fire, it is vital to file an insurance claim quickly. Your insurance company may require certain information before the restoration process begins.
Before a fire restoration company arrives, it is helpful to have insurance information like your policy number, claim number, the insurance carrier, agent, and the contact information of your adjuster. Fire damage in your Park Forest residence can lead to corrosion if you do not deal with it speedily, limiting the success rate of restoration. Decontamination should take priority to maintain the potential of restoring items instead of replacing them. More destruction increases fire restoration expenses and can slow down the claims process.
Smoke and soot can cause additional issues within a few days, including permanently staining upholstery, metal rusting or corroding, and causing walls to turn yellow. Our priority at SERVPRO is assisting our customers in getting their lives back to normal as soon as possible. We, therefore, take quick action to restore homes to their pre-fire damage condition.
Our Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration Technician (FSRT) can assess your house to determine the extent of the destruction to its structure and contents. This step allows us to gauge the route to take to restore a property. For instance, if there’s a water leak, we can identify the source and deal with it before we start fire decontamination. Our technicians can start the fire damage repair process with cleaning up dust, soot, and smoke. We can use various methods to achieve this, including dry cleaning, air scrubbing, and pressure washing. Our technicians also remove ruined furnishings. We also clean up the restorable and dispose of ruined items.
We use various methods to remove smoke and soot residues from surfaces. Some cleaning actions we can use to eliminate soils from a structure include:
- Suspension and dispersion
Our SERVPRO crews also use specialized equipment like wall cleaners to eradicate soot and oily residue. Vacuums with HEPA filters capture debris and sodium bicarbonate blasters to eradicate surface charring.
When you need fire damage cleanup services, SERVPRO of Chicago Heights / Crete / Beecher can be there to help you get your life back to normal. Contact us today at (708) 672-0077 to benefit from our fire restoration solutions. We can make the destruction seem “Like it never even happened.”
More about Park Forest.